Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Femme Fatales

Femme Fatales is the name of my current clan. I personally first joined it partly because of the cool name. I always have this thought that I saw that name somewhere before, but not until today, that I remembered where did I see it. It was in my literature class that I first saw the term!

Femme Fatales where originally made for all female players, that's no longer true, but the female population is still dominating in the clan. "A femme fatale (french) is an alluring and seductive woman whose charms ensnare her lovers in bonds of irresistible desire, often leading them into compromising, dangerous, and deadly situations." That's the figure that was painted into the term "femme fatale," but I can tell you now, all of us girls in Femme Fatales are innocent angels~

There's one piece of literature that associate with the term "femme fatale" that I love, it called "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" by John Keats. The name means "The Beautiful Lady without Pity" and it is telling a story of a fallen knight who met a beautiful and lovely lady that he fell in love with, just to find out later that he was deceived by her, and so did many other men.

Here it is, I hope you like it too :o. A tip for those who suck old English like me.. the first 3 stanzas is that of the "femme fatale" and the rest is of the knight speaking~

La Belle Dame Sans Merci
John Keats

Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel's granary is full,
And the harvest's done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful - a faery's child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her head,
And bracelets too, and fragrant zone;
She looked at me as she did love,
And made sweet moan.

I set her on my pacing steed,
And nothing else saw all day long,
For sidelong would she bend, and sing
A faery's song.

She found me roots of relish sweet,
And honey wild, and manna-dew,
And sure in language strange she said -
'I love thee true'.

She took me to her elfin grot,
And there she wept and sighed full sore,
And there I shut her wild wild eyes
With kisses four.

And there she lulled me asleep
And there I dreamed - Ah! woe betide! -
The latest dream I ever dreamt
On the cold hill side.

I saw pale kings and princes too,
Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried - 'La Belle Dame sans Merci
Hath thee in thrall!'

I saw their starved lips in the gloam,
With horrid warning gaped wide,
And I awoke and found me here,
On the cold hill's side.

And this is why I sojourn here
Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment